Smart Card driving license and how to get it?
What is Smart Card Driving License?
A Smart Card Driving License (SCDL) is a tamper-proof Driving License in form of a plastic card with an embedded microprocessor chip of 64 kb memory which will have all information about the DL-holder stored in it. Smart card driving license is more superior than your normal driving license. It has many features. Here are the features and advantages of smart driving license.
- The Smart Card Driving License stores all details of your signature, photographs, biometrics and personal details. As these details are held in electronic form readable only by special devices, there will be no way to tamper these details or fake identity.
The information carried by your smart card including the date of issue can only be modified. Information carried by the Smart Card Driving License cannot be erased which provides for a permanent audit trial.
The Smart Card Driving will prevent from fake and bogus driving licenses.
What are the eligibility criteria to get or apply for Smart Card Driving License
You must be aged at least 18 years to apply for a Smart Card Driving License for motorcycles with gear & for motorcycles with an engine capacity exceeding 50 CC.
For motorcycles with gear and for motorcycles with an engine capacity of up to 50 CC, you must be at least 16 years old to get a Smart Card Driving License. In case your age is less than 18 years, you must also obtain a letter of consent from parent or guardian.
You must have at least completed 8th standard and must be at least 18 years old to get a Smart Card Driving License for commercial heavy vehicles and transport vehicles.
The Smart Card Driving License is valid for a period of 20 years from the date of issue or until the holder attains the age of 50 years, whichever comes earlier. After the validity lapses, the holder can renew the Smart Card Driving License.
How to apply for Smart card driving license?
Steps to apply for Smart card driving license
- If you already have driving license, To convert your existing Driving license to Smart Card Driving License, visit the RTO which issued your Smart Card Driving License and submit an application for the same. You will be required to attach your valid driving license and pay the fee before you get your biometrics captured.
- You must get the form and fill it. You need to fill the information of name, address, date of birth, vehicle class and type and signature are to be entered in this section. In machine readable zone: the chip serial number and driving licence details such as date of issue, applicant name, issuing authority details and licence validity are to be entered in this section. In Central Motor Vehicles Rules: endorsements, fines, disqualification and period 9if any), settlement review and date (if any) details are to be entered in this section.
- List of documents required for Smart card driving license
- Completely filled application form for Smart Card Driving License.
- Age proof (Any government document, DOB must be mentioned).
- Copies of passport size photographs
- Address Proof - Aadhar card OR Ration Card OR Recent utility bills (gas bill / electricity bill or telephone bill)
- Form with attached all the documents can be submitted to your corresponding RTOs.
How to get smart card driving license, What is Smart Card Driving License?